While on the one hand, getting your periods is a relief; on the other hand, it can feel like a pain (quite literally!) that needs endless doses of chocolate and tall glasses of warm water to cure. The good news though is that the timing of this monthly menace is under your control! You read that right! No longer will periods spoil your plans for the day in anyway.
How can you control your periods, you ask?
Simple. Just do any one of these nine exercises to make your periods happen before their scheduled 28th day.
Exercises To Get Periods Early
- Twisted Crunches
- Reverse Crunches
Squats encourage menstruation by waking up your abdominal and pelvic muscles. You can also tense up your stomach by doing sit-ups and twisted crunches.
These moves work your core muscles up to encourage menstrual bleeding. The standing twist can be done anywhere, and it gets your muscles moving. Thirty minutes of running, jogging, or walking are other ways to induce a period.
To do this exercise, place your feet apart and keep lowering your buttocks till your hips are positioned below your knees. Make sure your arms are stretched out, and your back is straight and that your weight is supported by your heels. Repeat 10 to 15 times.
- Lie down on your back; bend your knees and place your feet flat on the ground, hip width apart.
- Cross your arms over your chest and lift your upper body. It’s crucial that you use your stomach muscles and not your back. This will limit the risk of injury while encouraging menstruation.
- After 1 second, lie back down. This completes one sit-up.
3. Twisted crunches
These are similar to sit-ups but with a little twist. Twisted crunches are also known as bicycle crunches and can help tone your abs and thighs as well.
Lay straight on your back with the back of your head supported by the palm of your hands. Your knees should be bent upwards with your feet flat on the ground. Next, lift the upper half of your body, but instead of pushing it straight, bend it to the right towards your chest. Rest and repeat 10 to 15 times.
4. Standing twists
- With your feet hip width apart, place your hands on your hips.
- Twist your upper body to the right until your back tightens. Don’t overdo it, though.
- Return to the center.
- Then, twist to the left and return to the center again. This completes one rep.
If exercises bore you, running can be a rather fun alternative to get your periods sooner. And if you don’t even like running, jogging is always there to make things easier for you. To get the maximum out of this simple exercise, make sure your arms move in tandem with each step you take. Run for about 30 minutes.
6. Abdominal twists
- Sit on a mat with your knees bent.
- Lean slightly backward and keep your back as flat as possible.
- Move the upper part of your body from to the right, like a seated twist.
- Make sure your knees don’t move.
- Return to the center and turn to the left, this is one rep.
7. Reverse crunches
Lie down flat with your arms by your side. Then slowly bend your knees, while lifting your legs off the floor in gentle motion. At this point, your thighs should be perpendicular to the floor beneath you. Now, slowly start doing ab crunches as you breathe in. Hold for a moment and then exhale and go back to the original position. Repeat 20 times.
8. Stability ball knee tuck
- Place the stability ball on a mat.
- Lie down on the ball with your face towards the floor.
- Carefully, walk forward with the help of your arms.
- The ball should roll back to your legs and your body should be supported by your arms.
- If you master this, you can try lowering your chest to your knees with your hands outstretched in front
This exercise focuses on the movement of your inner thighs so that your pelvic muscles can be loosened up.
Lie with your back on the floor on a mat and raise your legs up but be sure that you do not bend your knees. Next, lower your left leg till it is just a couple of inches from touching the ground. Maintaining the position, lift your head and shoulders up and pull your right leg towards yourself. Do the same with your left leg. Repeat a total of 15 times.
These exercises won’t work immediately, but they’ll certainly speed things up. You can also get your period to come sooner by de-stressing and applying a heating pad. Yoga and Pilates will also help.