Oily skin is very hard to deal, especially during summers. Hereditary, diet, stress and hormonal imbalance are the main reasons for oily skin. Women during pregnancy, menstruation or menopause are more prone to have oily skin.
The excess production of oil can lead to many skin ailments like blackheads, pimples, whiteheads, large pores and others. Yet, the advantage of oily skin is – we tend to age better and develop fewer wrinkles. However it is very difficult to maintain oily skin. Commercial treatments only provide temporary results. Simple home remedies help to control oil production and absorb the excess oil from the skin.
1. Egg Whites
High in vitamin A, egg whites can effectively dry out skin blemishes as well as tone and tighten up oily skin.
- Whip one egg white until stiff and spread it on your skin. Allow it to dry and then wash it off with warm water. Do this twice a week.
- Whip one egg white, add the juice from half a lemon and mix it well. Apply the mixture on your face, leave it on for 15 minutes and then rinse it off with warm water. This will tighten the skin and soak up excess oil.
Orange peels are rich in astringent properties which restrict the excess oil secretion. The vitamin C present in it prevents wrinkles and makes your skin fresh and soft.
- Let the orange peels dry under the sun until crisp.
- Blend them into fine powder.
- Combine orange peel powder and rose water to make a paste.
- Spread a layer of the paste on the skin and leave it on for 15 minutes.
- Rinse off with water and pat dry.
3. Lemon Juice
Lemon juice is a good source of citric acid that works like an astringent. It also has antiseptic properties that can lighten skin discolorations and restore the skin’s pH balance.
- Mix one teaspoon of fresh lemon juice with one-half teaspoon of distilled water. Apply it on your skin using a cotton ball. Leave it on for 10 minutes and then wash your face with warm water. Lemon juice can dry out your skin, so apply some oil-free moisturizer afterward. Do this once daily.
- Mix one tablespoon of lemon juice, one-half tablespoon of honey and one tablespoon of milk. Apply this paste on your face and leave it on for 10 to 15 minutes before washing it off with cold water. If done once daily, this remedy will give you positive results within a week.
Yogurt contains lactic acid that helps gently exfoliate the skin and absorbs excess oil from the face.
- Apply one tablespoon of plain yogurt thoroughly over your face and leave it on for 15 minutes. Then rinse it off with cool water. Do this once daily.
- Alternatively, mix one tablespoon each of organic yogurt and finely ground oatmeal. Then stir in one teaspoon of warm honey. Apply the mixture on your face. Leave it on for 10 to 15 minutes and then rinse with warm water.
5. Gram Flour or Besan
The alkalizing nature of gram flour absorbs the excess oil, removes impurities and dead skin cells. It makes your skin supple, soft and tight.
- Take a tablespoonful of gram flour and add enough amounts of rosewater to make a paste.
- Spread the paste over your skin avoiding the area around eyes and mouth.
- Leave it to dry completely and rinse off with water.
- Alternatively, you can use milk, yogurt, or any fruit juice instead of rosewater.
Tomatoes are great for oily skin due to their cooling, clarifying and astringent properties. The high vitamin C content in tomatoes is very helpful for acne-prone skin. Plus, the natural oil-absorbing acids in tomatoes help get rid of excess oil.
- Cut a tomato in half and rub it on your skin.
- Allow the juice to soak into your skin for at least 15 minutes.
- Rinse your skin with cold water, pat it dry and apply a light oil-free moisturizer.
Note: You can also make a face mask by combining three tablespoons of tomato juice with one tablespoon of honey.
Cornstarch dries up excess oil, leaving skin soft and clear.
- Mix 2-3 tablespoons cornstarch with warm water to make a paste.
- Apply to face and leave on until dry.
- Rinse with lukewarm water,
- Repeat daily.
Apples work as a great exfoliating agent and they have mild antiseptic, astringent, and soothing properties that make them a great home remedy for oily skin. The malic acid in apples helps exfoliate dead skin cells and absorbs excess oil from the skin’s surface.
- Grate half an apple and place the shreds on your skin. Leave it on the skin for 15 minutes and then wash it off with tepid water.
- Mix one teaspoon each of grated apple, yogurt and lemon juice to form a smooth paste. Apply it all over your face and leave it on for 15 minutes. Then rinse your face with cool water.
9. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is rich in alpha hydroxyl sources which moisturize and tone the skin. The antibacterial properties of acv fight with the bacteria causing acne.
- Combine 1/4 cup of apple cider vinegar and 3/4 cup of distilled water.
- Using a cotton ball, apply the solution over your face.
- Leave the application for 5 – 10 minutes.
- Rinse off with cool water.
For extra benefits, you can add 1 teaspoon of apple cider vinegar into a glass of water and drink it before going to bed.
Cucumbers are also very beneficial for oily skin due to their cooling, astringent, and soothing properties. Also, the high vitamin and mineral content, including vitamins A and E, magnesium, and potassium, are good for oily skin.
- Cut a fresh organic cucumber into thick slices, and rub them thoroughly on your face. Leave it on overnight and rinse with warm water in the morning. Do this daily before going to bed.
- Alternatively, mix one-half teaspoon each of cucumber juice and lime juice. Apply this mixture to your skin, let it dry, and then wash it off with warm water. Do this daily. This remedy can also be used to lighten freckles and reduce sunburn.
The gritty nature of Epsom salt or sea salt remove the dead skin cells and impurities form the skin. You can either use Epsom salt, sea salt or kosher salt for scrubbing.
- Combine 1 tablespoon each of salt, lemon juice and lavender buds.
- Gently massage this mixture on the skin for few minutes.
- Leave it on for few minutes and rinse off with water.
- Combine 2 tablespoons of Epsom salt and few drops of essential oil like lavender oil, peppermint oil or any other as per your preference.
- Massage the mixture on your skin for few minutes.
- Rinse off with water and pat dry.
Strawberry is one of the best fruits we can use for scrubbing. The vitamin C and seeds of strawberry remove the dead skin cells, excess oil and brighten up the skin tone. It prevents wrinkles and slows down the ageing process.
- Mash few strawberries to make a paste.
- Add few drops of lemon juice into it and mix well.
- Apply it on the face and gently scrub for few minutes.
- Leave it on until it dries completely.
- Rinse off with water and pat dry.
- Alternatively, you can use honey instead of lemon juice.
14. Baking Soda
Baking soda is effective in removing dead skin cells, restricts oil production and balances the pH levels.
- Mix 2 tablespoons of baking soda with 1 tablespoon water to make a paste.
- Massage it into your face.
- Let it dry for 5 minutes and then rinse with warm water.
- Take ½ teaspoon baking soda, ½ teaspoon lemon juice and 1 tablespoon honey.
- Mix them well.
- Rub the mixture onto your face using clear finger tips.
- Rinse off with water.