White teeth make the smile more beautiful. Anytime you smile, the very first thing noticeable is how white your teeth are. White teeth can boost your confidence and make you feel on top of the world. No wonder many more people would do anything just to make their teeth whiter. However, many of those seeking for ways to whiten their teeth go for unhealthy methods that end up destroying the enamel and even their gums. It is always better to whiten teeth naturally.
Anything out of the natural almost always ends up with uncomfortable side effects. In this write-up, you are going to learn how to make your teeth white the natural way. With the information in this write-up, you will not have to join the millions of Americans sending over $1.4 billion on over-the-counter teeth whitening products that end up harming their teeth all the more.
Baking soda and lemon juice
Baking soda is a conventional natural beauty product. It works perfectly on the hair and also works on the skin. It is equally a very popular teeth whitening product. It contains natural sodium bicarbonate and it increases the alkaline concentration of the oral cavity, making the environment uncomfortable for those elements that make the teeth yellow.
Baking soda is mildly abrasive. It is therefore the best for those who are fond of eating acidic foods, since it helps balances the pH of the mouth.
Lemon juice is the teeth whitener and it tends to be acidic. Its acidic state can be balanced off by baking soda to ensure the enamel does not get damaged while the lemon juice is whitening the teeth. Lemon juice has a bleaching effect like none other and can bleach your teeth white.
- Few teaspoons of baking soda
- Adequate water or lemon juice to form paste with the baking soda.
- Paper towel
- Pour the baking soda into a clean container.
- Add adequate amount of lemon juice into it
- Mix the two together until they form paste
- Use a paper towel to wipe off saliva from your teeth.
- Apply some of the paste on your toothbrush
- Apply the paste on the toothbrush to your teeth.
- Allow the paste to stay on your teeth for up to 1 minute.
- Rinse it off using clean water. This will prevent the acidic effect of the lemon juice on your teeth.
Instead of mixing the baking soda with lemon juice, you can mix it with water. In this case, you can leave the baking powder paste on your teeth for up to 3 minutes.
Whiten Teeth Naturally
Strawberry, salt and baking soda scrub
This is yet another way to whiten teeth naturally. Strawberry is a very popular fruit rich in vitamin C. Vitamin C has the capability to break down plaque that can make the teeth yellow. Strawberry is rich in an enzyme called malic acid; malic acid helps to get rid of stains on the teeth surface.
Salt has a natural abrasive effect and it can help to scrub off any stain that may be on the teeth. The baking soda on the other hand is a natural teeth whitener. It is however not so important in this mixture; you can choose to leave it out if you so desire
- 3 big strawberries
- Pinch of salt
- Half teaspoon of baking soda
- Paper towel
As indicated earlier, the baking soda is optional.
- Put the berries inside a clean container
- Mash them together until they form a pulp
- Add the pinch of salt into it and mix properly
- Add the half teaspoon of baking soda too in the event you are using it.
- Remove any excess saliva from your teeth using the paper towel
- Add some of the paste on your toothbrush and apply same generously to your teeth.
- Leave the mixture on your teeth for up to 5 minutes.
- Rinse off using water
You will get good result if you do this every night.
Coconut oil rinse
You may not believe it, but this is one of the best natural products you can use to whiten your teeth. The beautiful thing about it is the material need is very cheap and easy to come by. This is undoubtedly one of the oldest ways to whiten the teeth naturally. Coconut oil had been used for so long and many of those who use it swear that it helps to whiten the teeth.
Yes, it is not an entirely pleasant solution to natural teeth whitening, but it is effective, which is all that matters. Coconut oil is rich in lauric acid and this acid helps get rid of bacteria in the teeth. The bacteria are responsible for formation of plaque, which makes the teeth yellow. We can therefore say the use of coconut oil on the teeth is more of a preventive measure, rather than a cure for yellow teeth.
Aside its preventive function, coconut oil equally promotes your gum’s health and it helps in improving the freshness of your breath.
- 1 tablespoon of coconut oil
Direction of used
- It is bets performed in the morning and before you even brush your teeth.
- Put the tablespoon of coconut oil in your mouth. You can also soften it with water before you put it in your mouth.
- Pull, swish and push the oil through and around your mouth so that it can spread all through the mouth
- Continue with this for up to 15 minutes.
- Afterwards, spit out the coconut oil
- Rinse off your mouth with water
- You can now brush your teeth normally after this.
- This can also be done at night before you retire to bed.
This is one of the simplest ways to whiten teeth naturally, but it is unfortunately being ignored by many today. This is understandable anyway; it is not so easy to brush your teeth after each meal. However, you may have to persist on this if you want your teeth to look white and make your smile more beautiful.
Not all foods can stain the teeth. However, some drinks, like coffee, are guilty of this. Those who smoke too stand the risk of developing brown-looking teeth. If you find it difficult to brush your teeth after each meal or after each drink, you should make effort to visit the dentist at least once in 3 months to get your teeth cleaned.
Apple Cider Vinegar
It can help remove stubborn stains from the teeth and it can improve on gum health. Those who take nicotine or coffee will find this natural product very helpful. In order to get the desired result from this product, you have to use it consistently. You may not get the desired result until you have used it for up to 1 month consistently. You however need to be careful when using it, since it is acidic; its acidic nature can make it damage your enamel.
- Apple cider vinegar
- Baking soda
- Normal toothpaste
- Add two teaspoon of apple cidar vinegar into a container
- Add adequate baking soda to it
- Mix together to form a paste
- Place some of the paste on your toothbrush and apply it to your teeth
- Move it around your enamel following the normal brushing movement.
- Continue this for up to 3 minutes
- Afterwards, rinse off the apple cidar vinegar from your mouth using water
- After, brush your teeth using the normal toothpaste; non-fluoride toothpaste is most preferred.
Lemon or orange juice
This is yet another proven method to whiten teeth naturally. It may sound strange to you, but it has been proven to work over the years. You can as well give it a try for that surprising result. Lemon or orange peels are rich in ascorbic acid. The acid does the job of whitening the teeth. It can also help get rid of bacteria that attaches to the teeth leading to formation of plaque.
- Lemon or orange peels
- Hydrogen peroxide
- Apply the orange or lemon peel to your enamel
- Continue the application for about 3 minutes
- Pour some hydrogen peroxide in your mouth and swish it around the mouth for another three minutes and spit it out.
- You can also use clean water in place of hydrogen peroxide
- To be on the safer side, mix equal quantity of hydrogen peroxide and water and use the solution to rinse your mouth.
The rinsing must be done immediately after applying the orange or lemon peel. This will help remove the acid in the orange peel from the mouth and save your enamel from being damaged.
Teeth whitening with charcoal
Charcoal may be the blackest thing in existence, but this black substance can actually make your teeth whiter. Activated charcoal is an absorbent substance. Chemicals and toxins on your teeth easily adhere to it.
Even if it enters into your throat in the process of using it to clean your teeth, it is never absorbed by your intestine; rather, it absorbs toxins and chemicals from your stomach as it passes through the GIT. It will then be expelled via feces, carrying all the toxins and chemicals it has absorbed along.
Things to do
- Dip your toothbrush in water to get it soaked
- Dip the wet and clean toothbrush inside charcoal powder until the brush is fully covered.
- Put the charcoal-covered toothbrush in your mouth and apply it to your teeth.
- Brush the teeth using small and gentle circular movement
- Continue brushing for up to 2 minutes.
- Spit out the charcoal afterwards and rinse your mouth properly
- Instead of following the steps above, you can also add water to charcoal and mix the two together to form a solutio0n. Pour some of the solution in your mouth and swish carefully for 2 minutes. Spit it out afterwards and rinse your mouth with clean water.
Do not use it too often anyway, since it can cause constipation.
I brought this up last because it cannot be said to be a natural material for teeth whitening. It helps get the teeth whitened via a process referred to as Oxidation. Many of the over-the-counter products being sold contain hydrogen peroxide as their active ingredient.
Things you need
- 3% hydrogen peroxide
- Put 1 tablespoon full of hydrogen peroxide in your mouth
- Swish it through your mouth and leave it in for up to 10 minutes
- Spit it out and wash your mouth using clean water.
This is best carried out immediately after each meal of the day. You can then brush your teeth after its application, but this is not necessary.
Important points to note
When seeking to whiten teeth naturally, some important things must be kept in mind and they are highlighted below.
- These natural solutions described above will not make your teeth impressively white within a week; they take time to work.
- You will start seeing difference, but the change will not be instant.
- Even if the change in teeth color is not sudden and instant, your oral health will improve noticeably.
- Set a routine and follow it. Never fail to follow the routine for a day in order to get the desired result.
- Try as much as possible to run away from dark drinks; they tend to change teeth color, though gradually. Examples of such are coffee and coke.
- The enamel can be damaged by some natural teeth whitening products. One of such is lemon juice. Lemon juice is acidic and it has strong bleaching effect on the teeth. This is why it is very important to rinse off the mouth immediately these potentially-damaging natural items are used in your mouth. These dangerous items must also not be used every day. If you use them every day, they will soon create holes in your teeth and food will seep into these holes creating permanent discoloration of your teeth. The acid can also wear away your enamel and cause cavities to form in your teeth.