Hair has always been the important part of our body, but unfortunately, it is neglected by the majority of the population that later turns into severe hair loss. Most of us think that doing shampoo every day is enough to maintain better hair health and beauty, but it is not enough. Like all other body parts, your hair needs extra care and pampering through special nutrients and essential treatments (source). Excessive vitamin A deficiency can always be treated through a proper diet or by applying vitamin A cream or taking necessary supplements. Hair care management is one of the crucial issues these days and needs proper attention just like your skin and nails
What is Vitamin A?
Vitamin A is one of the fat-soluble vitamins which are easily available in some different forms such as retinal, retinol, dehydroretinol and retinoid. This special vitamin is very important for the treatment of many health-related issues such as malaria, hair loss, measles, diarrhea, premenstrual syndrome and vision diseases, such as glaucoma and cataracts. It also works to reduce symptoms of such diseases and paves the way for a healthier and better life. In case you’re not receiving enough of this vitamin through your diet, then the best option is to go for vitamin A supplements.
Symptoms of Vitamin A Deficiency
Vitamin A deficiency is one of the major causes of treatable blindness in children around the world. Other signs and symptoms caused by the deficiency of this vitamin are:
- Night blindness.
- Vision loss.
- Dry and thickened cornea.
- Hazy vision.
- Corneal ulceration.
- Dry and scaly skin.
- Dry lips.
- Thickened tongue.
- Urinary tract infection.
- Gastrointestinal problems.
- Respiratory tract issues.
- Dry scalp.
- Improper growth in children.
Vitamin A Benefits for Hair
Vitamin A and hair growth, both are closely connected to each other. It is one of the best vitamins for the treatment of hair loss problems such as baldness, alopecia, pattern hair loss or excessive shedding of hair. Due to different types of metabolic processes occurring in our body, it continuously releases free radicals which are extremely harmful to the normal growth of cells. Same is the case with our hair follicles, as they get damaged due to excessive free radical production.
Vitamin A is filled with some amazing antioxidant properties to stop the process that forms free radicals in our body which results in restoring the beauty and health of your hair. Other benefits of vitamin A in our body are better blood circulation, healthy vision, hair regeneration and rejuvenation of mental health.
Vitamin A Foods
Vitamin A for hair growth can be one of the best possible treatments to bring back those long lost locks. This vitamin is an excellent antioxidant, and a diet that is rich in this compound can prevent many malicious diseases. Let’s see which natural foods contain this amazing life-saving vitamin:
- Carrots: Carrot is one of the natural foods that are rich in vitamin A and people usually associate this vegetable with vision and good hair health. The statement is correct as eating carrots can improve your vision, and according to research, one medium carrot is 200% enough for a person’s daily vitamin A needs.
1 Medium Carrot = 10191 IU of Vitamin A.
- Sweet Potatoes: Sweet Potato is a vitamin A rich food that is still enjoyed in the American world. Its delightful taste and the amazing rich nutrients can provide instant strength and health. One medium-sized sweet potato provides around 438% of the average adult’s daily vitamin A needs with adding only 103 calories to your daily diet.
1 Medium Sweet Potato = 21909 IU of Vitamin A.
- Cod Liver Oil: To overcome the vitamin A deficiency, people around the world usually take cod liver oil supplements. This natural food is rich in different vitamins and minerals that are best for your body. It comes both in liquid and capsule form and contains vitamin A & D along with omega 3 fatty acids. When taken properly, cod liver oil can make your hair grow faster. A tablespoon full of this superfood is enough to exceed the daily requirement of vitamin A.
1 Tablespoon of Cod Liver Oil = 14000 IU of Vitamin A.
- Turkey Liver: Turkey is one of the delicacies that people love to eat occasionally and in some cases daily. Turkey liver is a rich source of vitamin A and other important vitamins and minerals. A 100 gm portion of turkey liver can easily compensate 1507% of the daily value of vitamin A.
100 gm of Turkey Liver = 75333 IU of Vitamin A.
- Red Pepper: Red pepper in your diet can show some positive differences and will fulfill your daily need of vitamin A. This vegetable can enhance the flavor of your food along with providing necessary nutrients and minerals. A tablespoon of this natural food can compensate 42% of your daily vitamin A needs.
1 Tablespoon of Red Pepper = 2081 IU Vitamin A
- Mustard Greens: Mustard greens whether eaten raw or cooked can provide you necessary amount of vitamin A on a daily basis. This natural food is a nutritional powerhouse that can add plenty of nutrients and flavor to your daily dishes. A cup of chopped green mustards can easily provide 118% of the daily value of vitamin A.
1 Cup Chopped Mustard Greens = 5880 IU Vitamin A.
Can Too Much Vitamin A Cause Hair Loss?
As we already know that taking the appropriate amount of vitamin A can promote hair growth and reduce hair loss. But its excess amount can lead to vomiting, nausea, dryness of eyes and skin and even severe hair loss. This is all because vitamin A is a fat-soluble compound and its excess amount cannot be easily disposed off from the body as compared to water-soluble vitamins.
Can We Reduce Vitamin A Deficiency Through Supplements?
When natural foods don’t work to reduce vitamin A deficiency, supplements are recommended by the doctors to overcome the health issues caused by the lack of this vitamin. If you ever take supplements, you always have to take recommended amount so that you don’t get too much. The best option is to pursue a balanced diet. The daily dosage of vitamin A to treat chronic hair loss problem such as alopecia is recommended between 5,000 to 25,000 IU that can be smoothly compensated through proper supplement intake.
To have a healthy lifestyle, it is always advised to follow a balanced diet plan that must be rich in most important vitamins, minerals, and nutrients. But in case, such a lifestyle is hard to follow, supplements of vitamins can be the best option to overcome hair loss and promote hair growth. These supplements contain a mix of all major ingredients that can enhance your hair health and can supply your daily dose of special nutrients whenever needed.